Research Project Instructions
(TOTAL 50 POINTS POSSIBLE)
You will be assigned, at random, a particular pathological condition from a compilation of all pathologies which have been discussed during this entire semester. In order to initiate your case study you must research your assigned condition using all of the resources available including your two textbooks, library resources and the internet. You are to find a sample case which matches the diagnosis of your assigned condition. If you have tried, and cannot find an actual case, please see Dr. Hershkowitz. You must include one photo. You will be graded as outlined in the rubrics in the following areas:
1) Terminology: Using proper descriptive terminology as given in Lexicomp pg. 9-10 and Ibsen/Phelan, Chapter 1, describe the lesion/condition of your example case. Be as complete as possible for shape, color, size, consistency, location, texture, form, symptoms, duration and radiographic appearance as applicable to your case. (8 points)
2) Differential diagnosis: List the possible conditions, both pathological and normal, that could appear similar to the lesion/condition which you have been assigned. The differential diagnoses included, may vary slightly in appearance from the lesion in your case. Compile your list based only upon appearance, not on the history, surgical description or histological findings which determine the definitive diagnosis. (12 points)
3) Pathogenesis: Describe completely and thoroughly, the typical pathogenesis of the condition which you have been assigned, in order to give an overview of the characteristics of the condition. (10 points)
4) Case History: Directly from the sample case which you have researched, list each detail from your specific case history (presentation /age/ gender/ patient history / dental-medical / risk factors/ symptoms/ surgical /histological) which is relevant and consistent with the pathogenesis and helps to confirm the definitive diagnosis. (10 points) Do not simply recite or read your case example, summarize!
5) Diagnostic Methods: List all of the diagnostic methods which were used in your sample case including those that may not have been used but could be applicable in a similar case. (6 points)
6) Treatment: Describe the proper treatment for the condition resulting from the definitive diagnosis and any other treatment that may not have been applied in your sample case, but may have been appropriate. (4 points)
The information on the following tabs of this guide will help you identify keywords for your topic, find and evaluate different types of sources, and cite your sources.
For additional help using library resources, explore the library's Library Research Skills guide
For writing help, see the Taft College Learning Center for information about getting help from a writing tutor.